Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Education

I am consistently amazed by education. God, I love to learn. I realize I am not alone in that. I once read that a good blog INFORMS people, because people just like information. They like to learn and don't even know it. Well I should say MOST people, because there are a few people who really don't want to learn. BUT...in this, I am just like every Tom Dick and Harry

A brief pause to thank the Jackass who came up with the names Tom Dick and Harry for a cliche. Tom...I have no problem. But the words Harry and Dick really shouldn't be in the same sentence for the masses.

Anyway, today I was reminded of Education like over and over and over.

1. I was studying hydrogenated oils today, because we are seeing a personal trainer with my daughter and I cannot f'ing believe I have lived my whole stupid life without understanding the most basic oils. I was sitting on a bouncy workout ball - across from the trainer the other day with my 11 year old on a ball next to me more interested in the conversation than my daughter. Thank God it was on a 9 year old level. But, after understanding these oils - or at least scratching the surface, I am now horrified by my parenting. I instinctively made my 6 year old twins lunch after going to the beach and realized...I am feeding my children DIRT....Bread, Peanut Butter, Chips...and 10 grapes. Grapes. Yet another area I am confronted with learning must equal change. Am I ever going to learn something and be able to disregard it entirely?

2. I got on a tirade looking up Genius types today as well - thanks to some great titled teaser on yahoo today. So, I was telling my mom about this tonight and she finished my sentence. "Oh yeah...that is so and so's theory of intellegences"....uh....okay then, bye. Again, who did I think I was kidding? This woman has her masters and 36+ years experience teaching...hello...THE GIFTED. She probably relearns this shit every year at some conference she dreads. How much does my mom know that she doesn't tell me? I am not sure I WANT to know. And even better, she thought it was boring. yeah....me too. (humbling choke on stupity)

3. Education goes out the window during personal drama. I realized this 2x today. 1 was on the beach with a friend who is going through a hiddeous divorce. Now, this is a woman who graduated Vanderbilt...she can't be stupid? Right? In fact, as a new friend, I learn more of her experiences and find her a worthy advesary in most conversations...but the divorce...you can't get her off it. She is in drama...and therefore, knowledge really isn't interesting right now...unless of course, it pertains to how she can get what she deserves from this 15 years of a tragedy called HER marriage that will ruin her life in ways she sees quite clearly right now.

The second instance of this was in a AA meeting I attended tonight. I LOVE AA meetings. Mind you I am not in AA. I think it works for some people...but I just go for the sport of it right now - to keep me on my toes and remind myself maybe I don't need to drink tonight. But the people are great. I attended a meeting tonight that I have never attended in this new city and these women were like totally together. I have never met a softer, more kind REAL group.

I think I will start a new blog entry in a sec. I need a glass of wine. ha Just kidding, going to grab a coffee....

No comments:

Post a Comment