Monday, July 6, 2009

The Help

I am reading a book called The Help. In it, a character gets advice from someone on how to write on something meaningful. The advice was "think of what disturbs you - particularly if it distrubs no one else."

I am not even sure that would be interesting. And if it were, why? In the book, the character said she made a long list that just flowed. I am not sure I could do this. Oh, I could make a list miles long of things that disturb me, but I am not sure any of it would be unique to me and only me. Maybe I'll just make a list of things that disturbed me today. Let's start there.

#1. The bitch that said to me, "Isn't that hat HOT!" What is her problem and what does she care? What was the purpose of this comment and has she no manners. What does she care if I am hot. Worse, when I responded, she didn't like my response. So, why ask? Because no matter what I said, she was going to make me feel like an idiot for wearing a winter hat in Summer...in Florida. I just didn't like the moment, or her, or the stupid ass intention or her hiddeous ass personality.

#2. Today, my porch really bothered me. Every time I drove up, I hated my porch. INSIDE my house is so charming...but the porch is stark and redneck. You would never even guess a person with taste lives here. And as highly creative as I feel most days, I look at the porch and can't visualize anything. Maybe a fern. But it would die and look like shit in a couple of weeks, too. I could spend money, but I don't even know what I would buy. Porch drought...disturbing.

#3. My son has become a very Barefoot person these days and I don't like his big toe. The nail is just not growing right.

#4. My daughters shit-ass attitude about running with her cousin today. She is 60 lbs over weight and did NOTHING all day. Run and shut up and stop the drama.

#5. My husband mocking my son for saying he needed some alone time. I personally think this is very astute, to acknowledge that you need down time. Just because my husband is highly social does not mean that we need to mock those who need a break. What is that?

#6. The cost of cigarettes. Will the taxation ever end? And really, how long will it be before someone gets the bright Idea to lynch the president for approving this madness?

#7. Why does grease have to be so fattening? It makes food so damn good.

#8. Not eating at the table as a family. We haven't done this in weeks. We have had non stop company and still - we are dispaced from our table, with my nephew here this month.

#9. People who spend too much time on facebook and tell way too much. Just live.

#10. The texting insanity of teenagers. Its just not healthy to be THAT connected. My nephew went swimming with his cell phone in his pocket a couple days ago...and you would think that the world had ended. Tonight, I finally said to him, "You are probably missing so much." Just to have fun with myself. Cruel, I know. But he got the sarcasm....kinda. He said, "I AM!" - oh brother. Doesn't he understand that being a teenager is like watching a soap opera...it's the same shit...days, months and years later! He isn't missing JACK.

#11. The number of coats of paint required to cover wood.

#12. The fact that my ex husband hasn't sent child support for the 12th year...not one month...on time. Oh wait. This bullet might as just well say, MY EX. He continues to bother me after all these years. Just send the damn money. You don't do SHIT else...for Christ sakes - buy a stamp.

#13. My wet ass mailbox. It has a crack in it and when it rains, mail gets soaked. So much for any message in ink. As a rentor, I refuse to buy a mailbox. But the mail madness must end.

No comments:

Post a Comment