Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What is it with PC gamers?

First, let me say, I do not "Game" on my PC. Second, I have never met a "Gamer" I didn't like.

In fact, I am married to a gamer. God help me.

He doesn't fit the profile. If there is a profile, that is. I personally have only uncovered a few "cool guy" gamers. The rest a different version of somebody else's cool...and fat chicks. And I use the term fat loosely, meaning anyone over thier self percieved ideal weight. Nothing against fatties. Love em.

But really, outside of the total "wanna be" masterminds of computery that work at the local soon to be extinct Curcuit City, who is on these games? LOTS!

I didn't believe it until I was exposed to the underbelly of the underworld of gaming. I am exposed nightly, actually. About 6 feet from my very stately, tre fabulous 9000 lb desk, sits my stud of a husband on a game.

This is a guy that can throw a wheel kick to knock out even the sharpest blackbelt (in person, not virtually). A blackbelt himself, this is someone who loves grappling and groundfighting. UFC ROCKS, just ask him. But by night, like a vampire hungry for blood the casket of his 52" flatscreem monitor sucks him into a world of fighting and spells.

This is Dungeons and Draggons withdraw, I am certain. Though I never played this game, my husband did. He also reads like a maniac...all these fantasy novels. He loves this shit. And I know he is not alone. There is a million people out there seeking this escape into fantasy rhelms. TOP 5 signs I know for sure....(drum roll please)

1. His fantasy books are the first to go in any garage sale.
2. His beloved Everquest character could have sold for $1000 dollars on Ebay.
3. He mentions Worlds of Warcraft detail in any good video store and has friends for life
4. He gets financial advice from his guild members...these aren't your average fatties.
5. You should see the number of people ON this game in any given wartime....who are these people.

These people are the MASSES. It must be true in any technologically advanced country, that for ever 2 people breathing, there is one playing a video game.

And if that is true, could we not think of a more creative term for them than "Gamer"? Someone really went out on a limb with that one.

Media - get with it.

To all you gamers - you know it is not just a hobby. You addicted inner techys, you know who you are. And to my husband who probably never reads my blog, because he is too busy being a winged badass with a mullet and sword in a land created by someone with unbelievable computer expertise in graphics, will we EVER have a life after 10:00 short of a National Crisis that shuts down the internet?

Oh my God. This is my life. And sadly, I have not only come to accept it. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment