Monday, January 12, 2009

A Time to Quit

I contend there is a time to quit. Was it Beatles or God that said, there is a time for every purpose under the sun. This surely includes quitting.

"Just Do It" doesn't always mean put on your Nike's. Maybe it means quit.

Well, I did it. I quit my 6 figure job and just said, F it. Just a couple weeks ago, actually. No doubt there was a little careful planning invloved, but you can only be so careful when you only have so much - after all, a bean counter with like 3 beans is just an idiot if he keeps counting them.

So - where will I go from here besides the welfare office? Well, one thing is sure...life will not end. It may end as I know it...but so be it.

We spend SO much time defending these lives of ours, don't we? But how many elements exsist that truly have impact? Internal Survey Says...

I was packing just the other day - moving to the beach. And I say to myself, "Do I really want to move this?" Some things YES, Many...No. Really suprising how few things we treasure when it's all boiled down. Yet, for years - too many years - I have been defending it all. One promotion after another and why? For who? I know the answer - ultimately for me. Yet, in turn, what was gained after about 5 years of it?

Malcom Gladwell, who wrote the very popular Tipping Point, said in a recent book "Outliers" that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be an expert at something - Citing MANY famous examples. If that is true, maybe we need to ask ourselves, what do I spend the most time doing...or what am I pathing toward 10,000 hours in? If you don't want to be an expert at that, I contend it is time to quit.

A time to be born, a time to die. Everything in between is time spent toward expertise - in something. Maybe for you, it needs to be one less thing.

For me, I am moving on, with one less job. I quit.

If you were worried about quitting tonight, now you have one less thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment