Friday, August 7, 2009

Retirement

I met a pro athlete the other night. I asked, "Do you still play?" And he smiled this million dollar grin (I guess because I am stupid and didn't know) "No...I'm retired." WOW, what a smile. Wait...did he just say retired? We talked for an hour or so, great guy. Great family. It was a really good time, just hanging out while kids played.

So, when I got home, like any good woman who doesn't follow sports, I looked him up. HOLY SHIT. Heisman Trophy...that's big. Rookie of the year...that must be big, too...Superbowl. Shit. I KNOW that's big. I was talking to this guy like the best thing about him was that smile!

But let's go back to that retired comment. Looking at his website, I learned that he is 1 year younger than myself. RETIRED.

For a pro athlete...does that mean, I will never play ball professionally or does it REALLY mean never work again, like it does for most of us? I can guess. And even if he doesn't HAVE to, he's working. He's got his radio show, his sports commentating, his endorsements....that's work. But at my age, to not really HAVE to work...what would I do?

Now, there is probably ONE LESS THING I should ever worry about. ha That day may be around the corner...along with that lightening rod and the winning powerball ticket.

I can tell you this, this morning, I did check to see when football enrollment is for my son. Don't want to miss that!

No comments:

Post a Comment